Sunday, September 27, 2009

I am the domestic mess

For the past 2.5 years I've been dating Mike.  Mike is in the military and has been for 10+ years.  Prior to enroling in the Forces, he went to George Brown where he received his Culinary Degree.  During his teenage years and into his early twenties, he worked in some of the most famous, elite restaurants in downtown Toronto.

All throughout our relationship he has pushed me to cook more, be more involved in the kitchen, and to try new things.  I'm fairly hesitant when trying new foods becase (a) I'm extremely picky; and (b) I grew up in a house where variety was not the spice of life.  As a child, dinner's were always plentiful, but mainly consisted of Shake & Bake chicken, mashed potatoes and canned veggies. I became almost immune to the bland tastes and become increasingly more picky with what I would eat.

Once I got to university I had no choice but to eat what was being served in the caf, regardless of what it was.  I quickly learned the greatness that was a hot pot.  Also, the greatness of having a Chinese neighbor with a rice cooker.

Mike and I love making dinner together.  It is one of our favorite things to do together after spending so much time a part.  I've quickly developed a love for cooking, and even though I'm not the greatest or best chef in the world, it's usually edible!

This blog will be a collection of some of our favorite things to cook together and some things I was able to master on my own while he was away.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm.... shake & bake chicken...
    a staple when my mom cooks... always with a baked potato and brocoili in a cheese sauce lol

    ReplyDelete